OMNARIS® (ciclesonide) Nasal Spray combines desirable characteristics into 1 formulation
Trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
** BKC (benzalkonium chloride) is a preservative contained in many INS products and can be an irritant.2,9
OMNARIS® (ciclesonide) Nasal Spray is designed to Stick & Stay
- Hypotonic suspension enables diffusion of water molecules into the nasal mucosa, thus increasing its viscosity2
- Increased viscosity promotes adherence and absorption of ciclesonide into nasal mucosa2-4
- Ciclesonide is a prodrug that is rapidly converted to active des-ciclesonide after nasal administration1,5
Drug retention in nasal mucosa occurs when des-ciclesonide...
- Binds to the glucocorticoid receptors1,5,, OR
- Forms reversible fatty acid conjugates1,5
The precise mechanism through which ciclesonide affects allergic rhinitis is unknown.
Corticosteroids have been shown to have a wide range of effects on multiple cell types and mediators involved in allergic inflammation.
1. OMNARIS® (ciclesonide) Nasal Spray Prescribing Information. Marlborough, MA: Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc.; October 2011.
2. Meltzer EO. Formulation considerations of intranasal corticosteroids for the treatment of allergic rhinitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2007;98(1):12-21.
3. Pennington AK, Ratcliffe JH, Wilson CG, Hardy JG. The influence of solution viscosity on nasal spray deposition and clearance. Int J Pharm. 1988;43(3):221-224
4. Sharpe SA, Sandweiss V, Tuazon J, et al. Comparison of the flow properties of mometasone furoate nasal spray with other nasal corticosteroid sprays [abstract]. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2002;109(suppl):S106.
5. Sato H, Nave R, Nonaka T, et al. In vitro metabolism of ciclesonide in human nasal epithelial cells. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 2007;28(1):43-50.
6. Ratner PH, Wingertzahn MA, van Bavel JH, et al. Efficacy and safety of ciclesonide nasal spray for the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006;118(5):1142-1148.
7. Meltzer EO, Kunjibettu S, Hall N, et al. Efficacy and safety of ciclesonide, 200µg once daily, for the treatment of perennial allergic rhinitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2007;98(2):175-181.
8. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov; NCT00305487. Study 060-417. Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc., Marlborough, MA.
9. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov; NCT00163514. Study 060-403. Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc., Marlborough, MA.
10. Chervinsky P, Kunjibettu S, Miller DL, et al. Long-term safety and efficacy of intranasal ciclesonide in adult and adolescent patients with perennial allergic rhinitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2007;99(1):69-76.
11. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov; NCT00659841. Study 060-401. Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc., Marlborough, MA.
12. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov; NCT00163501. Study 060-404. Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc., Marlborough, MA.